"A bit about me..."


I am currently a teacher in training at the University of South Alabama. I have a degree in Special Education and I am working on getting my license reinstated. I had children and stayed at home, I let my certificate expire. Coming back to South Alabama has opened my eyes. I am very excited about useing technology in my classroom. I received my degree from South Alabama in 1999 and I had taken a technology class then but we were learning how to splice 16mm film. All I can say is WOW to technology and I can't wait to use the many technology tools in my classroom.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Growth mindset

I recently learned of "Growth mindset" and I think it is a powerful teaching tool. Growth mindset is were students are taught that their mind is a muscle and like every other muscle in the body it gets stronger with use. Students realize that they may not know every answer to every question but that it is a learning process, over time they will understand more. There are some students who have a fixed mindset and they believe that there knowledge is all ready predetermend, that if they do not know the answer they must be stupid. It is our job as educators to let these students know that learning is a life long process for everyone. We need to be postive role models and display that all students are smart and capable of learning.

No comments: